Wednesday, December 26, 2007

American Gladiators



To say American Gladiators was a part of my childhood is quite the understatement. Nitro and Sunny might as well have been my biological parents whilst I passed through the "Am I Adopted?" phase of my life. I loved the bizarre quality of pro-wrestlers, ex-security crews and former body builders duking it out for the kleos of beating an American gladiator.

It's a great metaphor for America as well. What other country would devise such clever activities (as shown below)?

The Gauntlet


Powerball


Assault (my favorite hands-down)


The Eliminator




It's oddly Greco-Roman for NBC, much less America.


The irony of ironies: because of the writer's strike major broadcast stations are airing more reality shows and (surprise!) AMERICAN GLADIATORS! While the labor blood in me boils at the nefarious underhanded dealings of the corporate machine, I can't help but be tickled by the revival of one of my favorite shows. It seems as though I could even BE AN AMERICAN GLADIATOR!

No comments: